FOOTBALL - The Premier League starts on Saturday with six match-ups at 3pm local time. This is the 21st season of the Premier League and seven clubs have been members since its inception – Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur. Click read more for Opening Day stats.
- The all-time top scorer on the opening day of a PL season is Alan Shearer with eight goals.
- Frank Lampard is the highest active PL goalscorer in the opening fixtures of the season with six goals.
- Chelsea have scored 41 goals in opening day fixtures – more than any other club.
- The most goals scored on the opening matchround of a PL season is 36 goals in 2003. The fewest were 18 goals in 1998.
- There have been seven hat tricks previously scored in opening fixtures.
- The biggest victory / defeat on the opening matchround of the season was Chelsea’s 6-0 home win against West Brom in 2010.
- The biggest away wins / home defeats were Liverpool’s 6-1 win at Crystal Palace (1994), Bolton’s 5-0 win at Leicester City (2001) and Arsenal’s 6-1 win at Everton (2009).
- The biggest win by a promoted club on the opening day was Bolton’s 5-0 win at Leicester City in 2001. The largest defeat was West Brom’s 6-0 at Chelsea in 2010.