Alpine Skiing – Marlies Schild won the ladies’ World Cup slalom in Lienz on Sunday. Schild became the first woman to win 35 World Cup slalom races, surpassing Vreni Schneider’s record (34 wins).
- Schild became the second woman in World Cup history to win 35 or more races in one discipline after Annemarie Moser-Pröll (AUT), who won 36 World Cup downhill races.
- Schild has now 54 career World Cup slalom podiums and equalled Moser-Pröll (downhill) for the second most podiums in one discipline in ladies’ World Cup history. Renate Götschl (AUT) holds the record with 59 downhill podiums.
- Schild has now won 37 World Cup races in all disciplines and overtook Katja Seizinger (GER) to move into sole possession of sixth place on the all-time ladies’ World Cup victory list, behind Moser-Pröll (62), Lindsey Vonn (USA, 59), Schneider (55), Götschl (46) and Anja Pärson (SWE, 42).
FOOTBALL – Hull City defeated Fulham 6-0, after a 0-0 half time score, in their Premier League matchup on Saturday.
- Hull recorded their biggest-ever top fight win and their biggest League win since a 7-1 Division Two (third tier) home win v Crewe on October 29th 1994.
- Hull scored more than three goals in a PL match for the first time in their history.
- Fulham conceded six goals in a top-flight match for the first time since Feb 1968 – their 7-2 away defeat at West Ham.
- Fulham conceded six in a League fixture for the first time since their 6-4 Division Two (third tier) defeat at Exeter in November 1993.
- Fulham suffered their worst PL defeat – and second-worst in the top-flight after a 9-0 Division One defeat at Wolves in September 1959.
- Fulham suffered their worst League defeat (any division) since their 7-0 Division Three (third tier) defeat at Chester City in April 1989.
- This is the first time a side scored six PL goals in one half of football in almost exactly a year – since Arsenal scored six second-half goals in their 7-3 PL home win v Newcastle on Dec 29th 2012.
FOOTBALL – Cristiano Ronaldo has finished the 2013 calendar year on 69 goals in 59 official matches for club and country. He has now netted 60 times in 2011, 63 times in 2012 and 69 times in 2013. Ronaldo netted once against Valencia CF in Sunday’s La Liga encounter, helping his side to a 3-2 away win.
FOOTBALL – Mario Balotelli finished the 2013 calendar year as the top scorer in Serie A, scoring 18 times in the league since 1 January. His main challenger, Internazionale’s Rodrigo Palacio, scored Inter’s winning goal (1-0) in Sunday’s Derby della Madonnina, but the Argentine managed no more than his 17th goal in 2013.
AMERICAN FOOTBALL – Peyton Manning threw four touchdown passes to raise his 2013 season total to 51, establishing a new single season NFL record, surpassing the 50 by New England’s Tom Brady in 2007. Manning’s previous best was 49 in 2004 when still an Indianapolis Colt. Manning and Brady are the only two quarteracks that have thrown 50 or more in a season.
FOOTBALL – Just like last year, FC Barcelona are leading La Liga at year’s end. Barça needed to come back from 2-0 down to pip Atlético Madrid on goal difference. Pedro provided the spark with three goals in eight minutes, the fastest by a Barça player since Dani needed seven minutes against Real Betis on 25 September 1999.
FOOTBALL – Jairo Riedewald scored on his Eredivisie debut for Ajax at 17 years and 104 days of age, making him the youngest player to score a goal on his Dutch top flight debut. He breaks the record set only last season by Willem II’s Jeroen Lumu (17-111).