We look back at Netherlands’ 3-2 win over Australia in Pool B of the 2014 World Cup.
- Netherlands win their 5th successive WC group stage match and are now unbeaten in their last 12 WC group stage matches, since losing to Belgium 20 years ago on 25 June 1994.
- Australia are now winless in competitive matches for a whole year (365 days) since beating Iraq 1-0 in a World Cup Qualifier on 18 June 2013 .
- At age 20 Memphis Depay became the youngest Dutch goal scorer in World Cup history. Combined with European Championships only Patrick Kluivert was younger when netting at age 19 against England at Euro 1996.
- Depay also became Netherland’s first substitute to score in a World Cup match since Klaas-Jan Huntelaar scored the winning goal in Netherland’s 2-1 win over Cameroon on 24 June 2010.
- Robin van Persie has now scored 17 of Holland’s 57 goals (30%) during the reign of coach Louis van Gaal (i.e. since August 2012).